Current campaigns and initiatives
Have your voice heard and make a real impact on local, national and global issues by getting involved in WI campaigns.
Our campaigns bring WI members together to take action and achieve real change in policy and practice on the issues that we all care about.
In recent years our campaigns have helped achieve:
- Citing the More Midwives Campaign report Support Overdue in 2015 NHS England announced a major review of maternity services; the findings of the Review were published in February of 2016 and included findings from the NFWI's Support Overdue report
- In 2015 the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) published its first ever guidance on safe midwifery staffing
- Cross party commitment to diversion and liaison schemes - a 'care not custody' approach to end the inappropriate detention of people with mental health needs. £5m pilot funding was announced by the Secretaries of State for Health and Justice in March 2011
- In 2015 the investment was increased to £50 million and covered 50% of England
- At a special event in 2016 with the Health Minister Alistair Burt, a further £12 million investment in liaison and diversion services were announced. This vital new funding will extend NHS England liaison and diversion services to cover 75% of the population in England by 2018
- £10m funding, announced in June 2010, for research into pollinator health. Thanks to the grant, research will be carried out into bee diseases and the effect of pesticides to help better understand threats to the honeybee population;
- Government commitment, announced in June 2013 to develop an action plan for bees
- European Parliament commitment to introduce mandatory country of origin labelling on all fresh meat (July 2011);
- Government concessions on Legal Aid reform, strengthening safeguards in draft legislation for domestic violence victims (spring 2012).
Find out more about our key campaigns:
- End Plastic Soup
- Link Together
- Food Matters
- Carers Welcome
- Climate Change
- More Midwives
- SOS for Honeybees
- Time to Talk about Organ Donation
- Care Not Custody
- Supporting UK Dairy Farmers
Take action - Campaign resources
If you want to take action in your WI on any of our campaigns we have a range of resources that you can use. These can be downloaded from the links below, or hard copies can be ordered from the NFWI public affairs team.
End Plastic Soup
SOS for Honeybees
For the loveof…
Time to Talk about Organ Donation
- Campaign action pack
- Organ donor registration leaflet
- Time to Talk posters – Poster 1 and Poster 2
- Step by step instructions for the Big Conversation craft project
General Campaigns and Public Affairs Leaflets
If you would like hard copies of any of these resources please contact the NFWI public affairs team and let us know which of the resources you would like, how many copies you want and the address to which you would like us to post them.
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department