Skill level: Beginner
You will need
- Rocks – with a smooth surface
- Acrylic paints
- Cup of water – for paintbrushes
- Acrylic paint pens (optional)
- Sealer/varnish (optional)
- Wash the rocks with soap and water and leave to dry.
- As rocks vary in shape and size, select a rock most suitable for the design you would like to paint.
- Depending on the colouring of the rock and your design, you may like to start with a base coat – to do so, paint one coat of white acrylic paint on to your rock and leave to dry.
- Paint your design on to the rock – for more intricate details, you can use acrylic paint pens. Once dry, if you feel the colours are a little dull, paint a second coat and again, leave to dry.
- Add your WI’s name, website, social media details or email address to the back of the rock.
- To protect your rock, you may wish to spray or paint it with a clear sealer or varnish, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place your rocks out and about in your local area for others to find and enjoy!
- Acrylic paint pens are great for more intricate designs and text
- Use a spare rock to test out colours and designs
- If you make a small mistake and the paint is still wet, use a damp piece of kitchen paper to carefully wipe away the error
Project by Kirstie Phipps