Butternut Squash & Lentil Casserole
Ginger gives a warm flavour to this casserole, making it ideal for cold winter days.
Preparation: 1 hr
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2.5cm fresh root ginger, grated
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and cubed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g baby spinach leaves, washed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish or a saucepan and gently cook the onion for 4–5 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2–3 minutes.
- Stir in the butternut squash, pepper, cumin and coriander and saute gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and tomatoes and bring up to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 20–25 minutes until the butternut squash is tender.
- Add the lentils and beans, stir through and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes until the beans are thoroughly warmed through.
- Add the spinach and coriander and stir through for 3 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Season to taste with black pepper and serve immediately. Serve with steamed rice if you wish.
This recipe is from "One Pot Dishes" published by Simon & Schuster.