Asparagus & Pea Pasta
A quick and popular meal using fresh asparagus.
- 250g English Asparagus
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped finely
- 200g Fresh Peas
- 120g Lancashire cheese, crumbled
- 500g Penne Pasta
- Cook the pasta in lots of boiling water until "al dente". Drain and keep hot
- Trim the asparagus to remove the woody ends and cut into short pieces about 5cm. Cut large asparagus lengthwise.
- Put the peas in a pan of boiling water and cook until just soft, then drain
- Heat the oil in and add the garlic, saute gently for 2 mins
- Add the asparagus and a little water, cover and cook for a few mins to cook. Add the peas and mix
- Combine the veg with the pasta and crumbly cheese
- Season to taste and serve immediately
If you are serving vegetarians ensure the cheese is suitable.
There are many changes that can be made to this recipe; instead of peas, fresh baby spinach or watercress can be used
Instead of tangy Lancashire cheese, for non-vegetarians goats cheese or Parmesan can be substituted