Tasty Cabbage Soup
No soup book would be complete without cabbage soup, and this is an excellent way of using a glut of cabbage from the garden.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Plus: Cooking time: 25–30 minutes, Freezing: recommended
- 6 large Onions, chopped
- 2 large Green Peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 head Celery, chopped
- 2 x 400g tins Tomatoes
- 40g Tomato Purée
- Hot Vegetable Stock
- 1 Green Cabbage, shredded
Flavourings (use some of the following)
- 1 Lemongrass Stem
- 3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 7.5cm (3 inches) fresh root Ginger, grated
- 2 tsp Caraway Seeds
- Dried Mixed Herbs
- 2 Chillies, de-seeded and sliced thinly
- Put the onions, peppers, celery, tomatoes and tomato purée into a large saucepan.
- Add enough boiling stock to come halfway up the vegetables.
- Add any flavourings you like, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook for a further 5–10 minutes.
- If necessary, top up with extra stock once the cabbage has been added.
Other vegetables can also be added to provide variety – try courgettes, beansprouts,fennel or spinach.
This recipe is from Homemade Soups by Grace Mulligan & Dilwen Phillips and published by Simon & Schuster in 2012 ISBN 978-1-47110-176-2 priced £12.99
For the complete list of WI books please send a SAE to WIE 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY