Stilton and Pear Soup
This recipe is great for a change or a way of using the left over Stilton cheese you have bought. Only a small amount is needed to bring flavour to a dish. This delicious recipe was supplied by a farmer's wife, Liz Pexton. Her husband is a driving force in the NFU. Their farm is near Driffield in East Yorkshire.
- 15g Butter
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 4 ripe Pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 850ml Chicken Stock
- 115g Stilton Cheese, crumbled
- juice of 1/2 Lemon (about 11/2tbsps)
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- snipped fresh Chives, to garnish
- Melt the butter in a roomy pan and cook the onion slowly.
- Do not let it brown.
- Add the pears, stock and seasoning. Simmer until the pears are tender (simmering time will depend on the type and ripeness of the pears).
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool a little.
- Then puree the soup until it is smooth. Return the pan to the heat and reheat gently.
- Add the crumbled Stilton and stir until it melts. Add the lemon juice to taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot, with some snipped chives on each bowl.