Cream of Cauliflower Soup
An appetising and inexpensive warming dish. Buy the cauliflower when it is good value
- 700ml basic vegetable stock
- 40g long grain rice
- Onion, small finely chopped
- Bouquet Garni
- Nutmeg, pinch of grated
- Cauliflower, medium sized, about 350g prepared
- 150ml Milk
- 4 tbsp whipping cream
- salt and pepper
- Bring the stock to the boil in a pan, add the rice, onion, bouquet garni and nutmeg and cook for 15 - 20 mins until the rice is tender.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and steam over boiling water for 10 mins until tender. Do not overcook. Reserve a few florets for garnishing and add the remainder to the stock with the milk.
- Simmer for 5 mins then remove from the heat.
- Puree the soup. If it is too thick add a little more milk.
- Return to the pan, stir in the cream and reheat without boiling.
- Taste and season. Serve garnished with the reserved cauliflower florets.
This soup can be frozen for later.
Cauliflower Cheese soup is very tasty, sprinkle some grated cheese onto the top when serving.