Chicken & Tarragon Soup
Chicken and tarragon is a classic combination that works perfectly together in this easy summery soup
Preparation: Preparation cooking time: 45 minutes, Freezing: not recommended
- 25g Butter
- 1 large Onion, sliced finely
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 850ml Chicken Stock
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1⁄2 a Lemon
- 225g Cooked, Skinless, Boneless Chicken, Cubed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh Tarragon, plus extra sprigs, to garnish
- 150ml Double Cream
- Salt and freshly ground White Pepper
- Finely sliced Lemon Zest
- Edible Flowers (e.g. Viola, Borage)
- Heat the butter in a large lidded saucepan.
- Add the onion and sweat for 5 minutes, covered, shaking the pan from time to time, until softened but not browned.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
- Gradually add the stock, making sure all the flour is well blended, and bring to the boil, stirring until thickened.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and tarragon and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and leave, to cool briefly.
- Stir in the cream.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary and then reheat gently.
- Serve garnished with lemon zest and a few edible flowers.
This recipe is from Homemade Soups by Grace Mulligan & Dilwen Phillips and published by Simon & Schuster in 2012 ISBN 978-1-47110-176-2 priced £12.99
For the complete list of WI books please send a SAE to WIE 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY