- 1kg carrots
- 50g butter
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 250ml orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Scrape and roughly slice the carrots.
- Gently saute the carrots in butter for 5 mins with the garlic.
- Add the orange juice, chicken stock and lemon juice.
- Simmer gently until the carrot is cooked (about 20 mins).
- Liquidise and return to heat, check the seasoning.
- The soup should have a sharp taste, add a little brown sugar if too sharp; add more lemon juice if not sharp enough.
Too much soup? Freeze some for another day!
For a change instead of orange try a tablespoon of fresh herbs e.g. thyme.