Potato & Leek Dauphinoise
This special potato dish can be prepared in advance and just popped in the oven at the last minute, making it ideal when friends come for supper.
Preparation: 45 minutes
- 650g potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 150g leeks, thinly sliced
- 2–3 fresh Thyme sprigs
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 300 ml Double Cream
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 25g Butter
- Preheat the oven to 190C, Gas 5.
- Add the potatoes to a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the leeks, cook for 1 minute and then drain the potatoes and leeks well in a colander.
- Tear the leaves from the thyme sprigs and mix with the garlic, cream and a generous amount of seasoning.
- Transfer the potatoes and leeks to a buttered 1.4-litre shallow ovenproof dish, tucking most of the leeks under the top layer of potatoes as they cook more quickly and have a tendency to overbrown.
- Pour the cream mixture over the top and dot with the butter.
- Bake in the oven for 30–40 minutes until the top is golden brown and the cream has been mostly absorbed by the potatoes
Double cream may seem a little decadent but it adds the most wonderful richness that you just can't get with whipping cream.
This recipe is from Cooking from the Garden by Sara Lewis and published by Simon & Schuster.