Pear and Walnut Salad
6 ripe Dessert Pears
For the dressing:
- 1 large Egg
- 3 tbsp Tarragon Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1 small carton Double Cream
- Salad leaves- Lettuce/Rocket or a selection
- 75g walnuts, roughly chopped
- Prepare the dressing: Beat the egg and sugar until thoroughly mixed then add the vinegar.
- Place the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and whisk until the mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Whip the cream until just beginning to thicken and fold into the dressing.
- To assemble: Cut the pears and scoop out the core, slice thinly. Arrange salad leaves and place the pear on top. Scatter over the walnuts.
- Serve with the dressing.
Leave the preparation of the pears until just before the dish is served as the pears will go brown after they have been sliced. To prevent this, squeeze a few drops of lemon juice over them.
A more substantial dish can be made by adding cubes of Stilton.
For a variety, Parmesan shavings can be added.