Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
- 450g minced raw Meat
- 25g Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp chopped Parsley
- 2 tbsp cooked Rice
- 1 Onion
- 1 pinch Mace
- 12 medium-sized Cabbage Leaves
- 150ml brown Stock
- Put the meat in a frying-pan with the butter; season well and turn over and over to brown evenly.
- Add the chopped parsley and the rice to the pan.
- Peel the onion and slice finely. Add to the meat with a pinch of mace. Let it all simmer gently.
- Meanwhile blanch the washed cabbage leaves by dipping them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Drain them.
- Put a spoonful of the meat mixture in the centre of each leaf. Roll up into a parcel. Put the rolls closely together in a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Add the stock to cover. Cook at 1800C, Gas Mark 4 for about 1 hour.
A good recipe to use up cabbage, additional flavours can be added such as chopped up mushrooms, tomato flesh or swede.