Gingered Orange Chicken
Papaya, orange, ginger and caramelised onions make a wonderful combination of ingredients for stuffing chicken breasts. The breasts are wrapped in bacon and then foil to seal in all the delicious flavours during cooking.
Plus: Serve with wild and long grain rice and tender peas or broad beans.
- 1 Onion, diced finely
- 2 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 5cm piece fresh Root Ginger, peeled & diced finely
- 100g dried Papaya, chopped
- 1 Orange
- 150ml White Wine
- 4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 12 rashers Smoked Streaky Bacon
- Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper
- Place the onion and oil in a medium saucepan and cook over a gentle heat for 10 mins, until the onion is soft. Sprinkle in the sugar, increase the heat to high and cook for 2-3 mins until caramelised.
- Add the ginger and papaya to the onions. Grate the zest from the orange and add to the pan. Peel the orange, chop up the flesh and add to the pan with the white wine and heat the mixture until boiling. Add seasoning.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the pocket in each chicken breast. Reserve the remaining mixture.
- Wrap three rashers of bacon tightly around each chicken breast to enclose the filling and wrap each breast securely in foil.
- Place in a baking dish and cook at Gas 5 190C for 30 -40 mins until the chicken is cooked through thoroughly.
- Puree the remaining onion and orange mixture and heat through and serve with the chicken.
This recipe is from The Big Book of Best Kept Secrets of the Women's Institute published by Simon & Schuster 2006 £20 ISBN 07432 85778 and available from all good book sellers
For a complete list of all WI books please send a sae to WIE, NFWI 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY