- 675g Raisins
- 450g Mixed Peel
- 450g Sultanas
- 450g Currants
- 900g Cooking Apples
- 450g Suet, shredded
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 25g Mixed Spice
- 10g grated Nutmeg
- 1- 2 tbsp Brandy
- 1 small bottle Stout or similar
- Wash and core the apples but do not peel.
- Put apples, lemon and orange through a coarse mincer.
- Stir in dried fruit, suet, brandy and spices.
- Mix in the stout and leave in a covered bowl for 3 days for the fruit to swell and flavour develop.
- Mix again and then pot and cover.
- Use after a week.
- As this mixture has not been cooked it is best to store in the fridge for about a month.
Suet is animal fat, if you would prefer vegetable fat use the vegetarian suet equivalent.
An alternative to suet is to use (a block of frozen) butter grated.