Preparation: 2,5 hrs
- 1.5 kg pink grapefruit, sliced and pips removed
- 150 g dried cranberries
- juice of 1 lemon or 2 teaspoons citric acid
- 3 kg granulated sugar
- Place the sliced grapefruit, cranberries, lemon juice or citric acid and 2 litres of water in a large saucepan and simmer, covered, until the peel is very tender.
- Transfer the fruit and liquid to a large preserving pan and add the sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Bring to a full rolling boil and test for a set after 5 minutes. It does set quite quickly – usually within 10 minutes.
- Remove any scum. Pour into cooled, sterilised jars, seal and label.
This can be made in a large casserole in the oven.
It is also very successful when done in a slow cooker overnight, but reduce the amount of water used, remembering to add the remainder when you transfer to a preserving pan.
This recipe is from Homemade Jams and Chutneys by Midge Thomas and published by Simon & Schuster.