This makes a lovely and colourful accompaniment to traditional Christmas fare.
Preparation: 20 minutes + 2 hrs cooking
- 25g Butter
- 350g Onions, chopped
- 450 g Cooking Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp Ground Mixed Spice
- 350g fresh or frozen Cranberries
- 450g light soft Brown Sugar
- 425ml white Malt Vinegar
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions, apples and spice and cook until the onions are soft – about 20 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the vinegar and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1–1.5 hours, until the chutney is reduced to a thick consistency.
- Spoon into cooled, sterilised jars and cover with a vinegar-proof lid. Label and store for 4–6 weeks before using.
This recipe is from Homemade Jams & chutneys by Midge Thomas and published by Simon & Schuster in 2012.