Cranberry & Red Onion Relish
This is a festive chutney packed with flavour, perfect for turkey, beef and pork as well as for serving with cheese and biscuits. A perfect addition for Christmas gatherings!
- 450g Red Onions, chopped and diced
- 30ml Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 225g Brown Sugar
- 450g cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 100g Raisins or chopped dates
- 120ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 129ml Red Wine
- 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 30ml Port
- Wash and sterilise the jam jars, then place in a slightly warm oven Gas 1/ 100C.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large pan, add the onions and cook over low heat for about 15 mins, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add 2 tbsp of the sugar and cook for about 5 mins until the onions are caramelized. Stir and watch carefully as you do not want to burn them.
- Meanwhile, place the raisins in the bottom of a second pan and add the vinegar, red wine, mustard seeds, spice and sugar. Soak 15 mins.
- Add the cranberries to the pan with the raisins and heat all of the mixture gently and slowly to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, cover the pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer the cranberry mixture for about 15 mins until the berries have popped and are tender.
- Stir the cranberry mixture into the caramelized onions, increase the heat and cook uncovered for a further 15 mins, stirring frequently until it is thickened and you can see the base of the pan when you draw a spoon through the mix.
- Remove from the heat, season to taste.
- Whilst hot, spoon into the warm sterilised jars, filling to the brim. Using a teaspoon pour a little port over the top of each jar then seal with vinegar proof lids. Seal and store in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
- Once opened refrigerate and use within 1 month.
This special Christmas recipe was created by Diane Sanderson, NFWI Home Economics Adviser.