Cranberry & Cider Mincemeat
This special recipe was one of the challenges to preserve makers at 2012's WI Real Jam Festival at Denman. It is a seasonal recipe with lots of lovely warming flavours.
Preparation: 1 hr
- 200ml (7fl. oz) Dry Cider
- 225g (8oz) Soft Dark Sugar
- 675g (1.5lb) Cooking Apples - Peeled and Finely Chopped or Grated
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 110g (4oz) Butter
- 175g (6oz) Currants
- 175g (6oz) Raisins
- 175g (6oz) Sultanas
- 175g (6oz) Cranberries – Fresh or Frozen
- 50g (2oz) Finely Chopped Mixed Peel
- 50g (2oz) Finely Chopped Hazelnuts
- 1 Orange – Grated Zest and Juice2 tbsp Brandy – Optional
- Heat the cider and sugar in a large pan until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add remaining ingredients, except the brandy.
- Simmer gently for 30-40 minutes, until the apples are pulpy and liquid has absorbed.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly, then stir in brandy.
- Spoon into jars, which have been warmed or sterilized in the dishwasher, and cover tightly with a twist-top lid.
- Store in the refrigerator, it is not a true preserve. The mincemeat is best kept for a few weeks for flavours to mature.