When the blackberries or brambles are ripe and plentiful this is a recipe which makes the most of them.
- 2kg Blackberries or Brambles
- 570ml Water
- Caster Sugar to taste, 250-375g
- 25g Citric Acid
- Sterilise 1 large litre bottle or 2 smaller bottles.
- Wash the fruit well.
- Place in a large pan with the water.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for about 5 mins until soft.
- Remove from the heat and use a potato masher to bring out more of the juice.
- Place the contents in a jelly bag or sieve covered with muslin and allow to strain through.
- Measure out the juice. For every 100ml juice add between 45 -75g (very sweet) caster sugar.
- Place the bowl of juice, citric acid and sugar over a pan of hot water and stir to allow the sugar to dissolve.
- Pour into a bottle, seal and label. Store in the fridge.
- To serve as a drink dilute with water to taste.