Mushy Banana & Sour Cream Pancakes
This recipe created by Caroline Marson from Love Food Hate Waste is perfect for creating something delicious from leftover yoghurt and over ripe bananas which otherwise might go to waste. If you have spare sultanas, flaked almonds or soft berries these make tasty additions to the batter as well!
- 2 over ripe Bananas, chopped into a bowl
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 125g Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs, separated
- 125ml Soured Milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Zest of half a Lemon
- Melted Butter
- Mash the bananas with a little lemon juice.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl and add the sugar.
- Mix together the mashed banana, egg yolks, soured milk or cream, vanilla and lemon zest, add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Whisk the whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into the batter lightly. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and brush with a little melted butter.
- Use a ladle of mixture for each pancake. Cook for 2 minutes on one side and then flip the pancake and cook for a further 1 minute. If you don't manage to eat all of them in one go, they freeze very well.