This recipe uses fresh fruit and yoghurt instead of cream to make a tangy light dessert similar to creme brulee
- 6 Mandarin Oranges
- 1 Tbsp Marmalade
- 275ml Natural Yoghurt
- 2 Eggs, separated
- 1 Tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
- Heat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4.
- Finely grate the rind of 3 mandarins.
- Divide the marmalade between 4 ramekins or place the whole amount in one large ovenproof dish.
- Reserving a few segments for decoration, divide the mandarins into segments and divide between the dishes.
- Beat the yoghurt, egg yolks, sugar and grated rind.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, fold into the yoghurt mixture and pour over the mandarins.
- Place the dishes in a bain marie (roasting tin containing enough water to come half way up the sides of the dishes.) Bake for 30 -40 mins until the custard is set and firm to touch.
- Serve at once
If you prefer the tops unbrowned, place foil over the top before baking.
This recipe is from the WI Book of Wholefood Cookery by Margaret Hanford pub by WI Books Ltd 1985 ISBN 0 900556986