Got some ginger in syrup and do not know what to do with it?
Here's the answer as well as a perfect Christmas season dessert. It could be made before Christmas and used on the big day instead of a Christmas pudding
- 300ml milk
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 2 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 4 tbsp Ginger Syrup
- 75-100g Preserved Ginger
- 300ml Double Cream
- 2 - 3 tbsp Rum
- Put the milk in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar together and pour on the boiling milk. Return to the pan and cook stirring all the time, until the mixture begins to thicken. (Do not boil!)
- Pour this custard into a clean bowl and add the ginger syrup. Cool and then chill in the fridge.
- Chop the ginger and whip the cream lightly.
- Fold both into the custard with the rum if using.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow tin and freeze.
- Stir 2 - 3 times while freezing to break up the crystals.
- Put into a plastic container and leave in the freezer until required.
Full fat milk used for this dish will make the ice cream luxurious and very creamy in flavour.
Do not throw away the egg whites. They can be used to make a pavlova.