A traditional favourite dessert, simply made from eggs, milk and sugar
- 75g Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 575ml Milk
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- Heat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4
- Put the 75g sugar and 1 tsp water in a heavy based pan and melt slowly without stirring. When it starts to colour, stir slowly and carefully until it is a dark honey colour.
- Pour into the serving dish or ramekins and swirl carefully to coat the sides and base.
- Beat the eggs and yolks in a bowl.
- Boil the milk with the vanilla pod. Remove the pod and pour the milk onto the egg mixture, beating all the time.
- Pour into the caramel lined dish.
- Stand in a bain marie (water bath containing 4 cm water) and cook until the custard is set, about 40 mins.
- Remove from the oven and leave until cold.
- Chill, then turn out when ready to serve.