Viennese whirl mince pies
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 50g butter
- 50g margarine
- 25g lard/white fat
- 2 egg yolks
(Or use 300g shop-bought shortcrust)
- 1 jar mincemeat
For the topping
- 100g butter
- 25g icing sugar
- 100g plain flour
- To make the shortcrust pastry place the flour and fats in a bowl and rub in with your fingertips or an electric mixer until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks and mix with a knife and then your hands to make a smooth dough.
- Chill for 15 mins.
- Lightly grease a 12-hole bun tray.
- Roll out the pastry and cut rounds to fit the bun tin. Fill each case with 1 tsp mincemeat.
- Make the topping by creaming butter and sugar and gradually beating in flour.
- Spoon into a piping bag and use a large star nozzle to pipe a swirl on top of each pie.
- Place in the fridge for 30 mins to firm up.
- Bake for 15-20 mins at 200 C / 180 fan/gas 6 until the biscuit tops are just turning golden.
- Serve warm dusted with icing sugar.
Will freeze well uncooked. When required, cook from frozen and allow 20-25 mins.
Adaptation of a recipe by Heather Williams, Norden WI, Lancashire Federation.