A glorious, easy and versatile recipe, which featured in the "Let's Cook Local" Recipe Book, the practical cookery project for young parents.
Plus: Try using different dried fruits and spices for alternative tastes. If you do not have coarse oats in the house and do not want to buy them porridge oats can be a substitute.
- 120g Butter or Margarine
- 225g Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Egg
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 185g selfraising Flour
- 80g Coarse Oatmeal
- 65g Dried fruit e.g. Raisins, Chopped Figs, Sultanas, Cranberries
- Set oven to Gas 4, 180°C and line baking sheets with non-stick baking parchment.
- Cream margarine and sugar together.
- Beat the egg and then gradually add to the mixing bowl, beating well.
- Mix salt, cinnamon and soda to the flour.
- Add flour mix to the creamed mixture and then mix in the oatmeal and dried fruit so everything is evenly distributed.
- Divide into teaspoon-sized balls and place 4cm apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake 5-8 minutes. Do not burn.
- Stand 2 minutes then lift onto a cooling rack using a fish slice.