Happy Mothers Day Cupcakes
This recipe uses a traditional creamed cake mixture to make small sponge cakes. This is a good basic recipe to try with children.
- 100g Butter
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 100g self-raising Flour
- A small amount of Buttercream for the top of the cakes
- Chocolate Coloured writing icing
- Sugar paste
Optional: Pink dusting powder for the centre of the flowers.
- Set oven Gas Mark 5 180C, and place 12 paper cup cases in the bun tray.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light. Beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- Fold in the flour.
- Spoon into the paper cases.
- Bake for 15 - 20 mins until risen and spongy to the touch.
- Allow cooling completely.
- When completely cool the cakes may be first given a small blob of buttercream and then decorated with a circle of sugar paste with flower shapes moulded or cut.
- Use the writing tube to create a stem.
Buttercream can be made from 50g softened butter, beaten with 100g sieved icing sugar.
The cakes can be flavoured with 25g cocoa or chocolate chips or dried fruit may be added for an additional flavour.
Any leftover cakes can be stored in an airtight container for another day or frozen in an airtight container.
These cakes should keep for about a week.