Berry & Elderflower Tart
If you have time it is best to start this dish the night before. Sharp, tender gooseberries with a hint of elderflower, all in a light pastry. Delicious!
Preparation: 30 minutes + 30 minutes chilling + overnight soaking + 1 hour cooling
Plus: Cooking time: 55−60 minutes
- 450g gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 50ml Elderflower Cordial (see WI recipe)
- 375g rich Shortcrust Pastry
- 3 Eggs
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 300ml Double Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Use a 375 g pack of ready-made chilled shortcrust pastry if you wish.
- Prick the gooseberries with a cocktail stick and drop into a bowl. Pour over the cordial and leave to soak overnight.
- Put a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm thick, then use it to line a 23cm loose-based, fluted flan tin, about 4.5−5cm deep.
- Prick the base with a fork and pop in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Line the pastry case with a sheet of foil, pressing it gently into the curves of the tin and folding it down carefully over the outside.
- Fill with baking beans and bake on the baking sheet for 15 minutes. (Bake blind)
- Remove the foil and beans, then bake for a further 5−10 minutes or until the pastry is firm and pale golden brown around the edges.
- If necessary, use a little beaten egg to brush over any cracks and return to the oven for 2−3 minutes to seal.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Mix together the eggs, sugar, cream and vanilla extract in a jug.
- Drain the gooseberries and spoon them into the prepared pastry case. Pour over the egg mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the centre is just firm.
- Leave to cool for 1 hr before serving.
To glaze the tart, warm 3 tablespoons of apricot conserve with 1 tablespoon of boiling water.
Brush evenly over the cold tart to cover completely.
This recipe is from Perfect Pies and Tarts by Moyra Fraser and published by Simon & Schuster in 2011 ISBN 978-0-85720-355-7 priced £9.99
For a complete list of all WI recipe books please send a sae to WI Enterprises 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY