After Christmas Cakes
Are you left with some nuts and chocolate after Christmas? If so here is a recipe that you and the children can easily do on a wet miserable day. If you are making these cakes for other people please be aware if they have an allergy to nuts.
Serves: 10 - 12
- 225g Self-Raising Flour
- pinch of Salt
- 100g Margarine
- 75g Granulated Sugar
- 50g Plain or Milk chocolate, fairly finely chopped
- 25g Brazil Nuts, chopped
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Flavouring
- Heat the oven to 2000C mark 6.
- Lightly grease a baking tray. Sieve the flour and salt; rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, chocolate and Brazil nuts. Beat the egg lightly; combine with almost all the milk and add the vanilla flavouring. Mix thoroughly with the dry ingredients to form a very stiff mixture which will just bind together. Add the extra milk if necessary.
- Shape into 10-12 rough mounds on the prepared baking tray. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until firm to the touch. Place on a cooling rack.
- These cakes are great favourites and are a good way of using up any nuts and chocolate remaining after Christmas.