Tasty and creamy, best served hot but an eternal favourite for any occasion!
Serves 4 - 6
18-20cm Short Pastry Tart Case, pre baked
225g Leek Stems, white, sliced (from about 3 Leeks)
3 tbsp Butter
2 Large or 3 Small Eggs
150ml Single Cream
Nutmeg, grated a pinch
25g Gruyere Cheese, grated
- Cook the sliced leeks in the minimum amount of water for 5 -7mins until soft.
- Drain, return to the dry pan and toss in the butter until well coated. Take off the heat.
- Beat the eggs, cream and seasonings together.
- Stir in the leeks with any butter and turn into the pastry case.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake 190C, Gas 5 for 20 -25mins until the custard is set.
- Serve hot
Very tasty with a green salad.
The green stems of the leeks may be frozen for later use or used in soup or a hearty casserole.
Please note if you are making this for a WI Show, "On With the Show" guidelines state as a savoury dish it should be made in a round flan ring/tin and not fluted
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department