Green pea, ham and leek soup
#ShowTheLove this February with a green heart soup. This substantial, satisfying soup has an excellent flavour. For extra taste, use a thick slice of the best quality ham.
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 175g frozen peas
- 850ml (1 ½ pints) chicken stock
- 175g ham, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 150ml double cream, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the leeks for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the peas and stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly and then puree until coarsely blended.
- Return to the pan, stir in the ham and chopped mint and heat through.
- Serve in individual bowls, with swirl of cream.
Recipe from The Big Book of Best-kept Secrets of the Women’s Institute; Simon & Schuster: London, 2006
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department