Pistachio meringue with vanilla cream and summer berries
Created by Nicky McDonald, Surrey Federation
A light and sweet dessert made with seasonal berries.
- 2 egg whites
- 120g caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 25g pistachios, roughly chopped (small enough to fit through a nozzle if piping)
- 200ml double cream, whipped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Summer berries (such as strawberries and blueberries)
Preheat the oven to 130-140°C/ gas mark ½ - 1.
For the Meringue
- Roughly chop the pistachios. Place the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla in a small bowl, mix well.
- Separate 2 eggs and place the whites into a clean, dry bowl. Whisk until the eggs form soft peaks (where the peaks just droop over) Do NOT over whisk at this stage.
- Add a tablespoon of sugar at a time to the egg whites whisking, until the mixture is light and glossy.
- Stir in the cornflour mixture and the chopped pistachios.
- Line a baking tray with parchment, then either pipe or spoon the meringue into a rectangle 30cm x 15cm. This shape makes portioning much easier.
- Place into the oven and bake for 55 to 60 minutes. (If you want a chewy textured meringue – remove from the oven after this time, however if you would prefer a dry meringue leave it in the oven but with the oven off.)
- Whip the double cream until thick, stir in the vanilla extract.
- When the meringue is cold, spread the cream on top and decorate with fruit.
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department