Recipe of the week
Pak Choi & Noodle Soup
This clear soup is packed with goodness and is typically Chinese.
Chestnut mushrooms are ideal because they stay fairly firm and give a good flavour. You could use vermicelli rice noodles as an alternative to egg noodles.
Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes
1 litre Chicken Stock
1 tsp finely chopped fresh Root Ginger
1 small red Chilli, de-seeded and chopped finely
Juice of 1/2 a Lime
1 tablespoon light Soy Sauce
50g Chestnut Mushrooms
2 Pak Choi heads,
Finely sliced 150g dried fine thread Egg Noodles
A kettle full of boiling water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Coriander
- Put the stock, ginger, chilli, lime juice and light soy sauce in a large saucepan.
- Simmer for 5 minutes over a moderate heat.
- Stir in the mushrooms and pak choi and continue cooking for another 5–7 minutes or until the green stems are cooked but not soggy.
- Place the noodles in a bowl and pour boiling water over them.
- Stir to separate the strands and then leave to soak according to the packet instructions.
- Drain off the water and divide the wet noodles between four warm bowls.
- Top up with the soup and decorate each bowl with chopped coriander.
This recipe is from Homemade Soups by Grace Mulligan & Dilwen Phillips and published by Simon & Schuster in 2012 ISBN 978-1-47110-176-2 priced £12.99 and available at all good book sellers. For a complete list of all WI books send a sae to 104 New King's Road, London SW6 4LY
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department