Recipe of the week
Sweet Potato and Lentil Wellington serve with traditional seasonal accompaniments
A Vegetarian Christmas
1 large sweet potato – peeled and diced
½ red onion finely chopped
1tsp fennel seeds
Knob of butter
100g red lentils
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 vegetable stock cube – made up into vegetable stock
100g feta cheese
Roll or block of ready-made puff pastry
Baby spinach – handful
1 egg lightly beaten
Poppy seeds for decoration
- Rinse the lentils under a running tap in a sieve
- Place the lentils in a large saucepan with the finely chopped garlic, bay leaf and enough vegetable stock to cover
- Bring to a gentle simmer until soft, remove the bay leaf and strain using a sieve to drain off excess moisture.
- Meanwhile in another saucepan cook the sweet potato until soft
- Roll out your pastry on a floured board to an approximate size of 10” by 12”
- Drain the sweet potatoes, in the empty saucepan, place the lentils and the sweet potatoes and allow to cool.
- In a frying pan gently sauté the onion in a little oil until softened, add the fennel seeds towards the end of cooking to avoid them burning.
- Add the cooked onion mixture to the sweet potato and lentil pan, mix together gently, gently crumbling in the feta cheese.
- To assemble your wellington arrange your spinach leaves along one side of the pastry and then spoon the mash mixture on top, fold over the pastry edges to cover the filling and crimp with a fork to seal the parcel.
- Place the wellington on to a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds for decoration
- Before placing in a preheated oven at 200◦C / Gas 6 /400F, bake until golden , normally this takes about 25 minutes, but check your pack of pastry for guidance on cooking times.
- Serve hot with a vegetable gravy if liked and seasonal vegetables
By Linzi Barrow, Lancashire Federation
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department