Recipe of the week
Halloween Stuffed Peppers
Photo: Louise Haywood-Schiefer
Ingredients (makes 4 stuffed peppers)
4 orange peppers
150g cooked brown rice (75g raw)
75g chorizo, chopped into small cubes
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
150g mixed vegetables, chopped (e.g courgette, peas, sweetcorn, green beans, mushrooms)
1 tsp smoked paprika
15g flat leaf parsley, chopped
Fresh ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C
- This recipe calls for cooked rice so unless you have some pre-cooked to use up*, cook the rice now.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and hollow out, removing the seeds and ribs. Do not discard the tops.
- At this point, you can carve the eyes, nose and mouth as you would on a pumpkin.
- Stand the peppers on a lightly oiled baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 mins until they start to soften
- Warm the frying pan on the hob and add the chopped chorizo. Fry for 1 minute, then add the chopped onion. Fry for 3-4 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add garlic and smoked paprika, stir through. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chopped vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and stir fry until the whole mixture is piping hot.
- Add the chopped parsley, freshly ground black pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste.
- Once baked, remove the peppers from the oven.
- Fill each pepper with the filling and return to the oven for 10 minutes
*If using up leftover rice, stir fry it with the other stuffing ingredients (step 9), ensuring it is piping hot before you spoon it into the peppers.
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department