Recipe of the week
Try adding 4 teaspoons of instant espresso powder (not instant coffee granules) mixed in with the sugar for a hazelnut coffee meringue.
4 egg whites
225g caster sugar
120g hazelnuts, ground and browned in the oven
1/2 tsp vinegar
150ml double cream
Few drops vanilla extract
8 hazelnuts for decoration
- Draw 2 x 20cm circles in pencil on baking paper and place on baking sheets.
- Set oven to Gas 5 / 190C / 170C fan.
- Whisk the egg whites stiffly then gradually beat in the sugar, adding one teaspoon at a time.
- Continue to whisk and add the vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Lastly fold in the hazelnuts.
- Divide equally and spread over the 2 prepared circles.
- Bake for 30 - 40 mins until pale golden.
- Remove from the paper and allow to cool completely.
- Spread whipped cream over one meringue, then sandwich the other meringue on top.
- Dust with icing sugar or decorate with piped cream and some roughly chopped toasted hazelnuts.
- Serve immediately.
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department