Lady Denman Cup
This year's competition invites WI members to write a diary extract based on the day that changed their life (using no more than 500 words).
Entrants must submit 4 copies of their entry to their federation office for initial judging. Federations may then select up to 3 entries to go forward for national judging.
Deadline for federations to submit their chosen entries is Friday 3 August 2018. Federations will set their own closing date; please ensure you check this date, along with entry fee requirements, with your federation office before submitting your entry.
Please visit the My WI site for the competition schedule and entry forms.
Lady Denman Cup 2017
Last year's competition was inspired by the Climate Change Campaign 'For the Love of...' and members were invited to write a piece of poetry about what they love that could be lost to climate change. Entries could be written in any poetical style but must not use more than 500 words.
The competition attracted 139 entries from 59 federations. Bringing their usual, high level of expertise, knowledge and experience to the competition, national entries were judged by John Ballam, Director of the Undergraduate Diploma in Creative Writing at Kellogg College and Jeremy Hughes, fellow tutor of Diploma of Creative Writing and Chair of Examiners at Oxford University.
- First place - Susan Herbert, Suffolk East Federation
- Second place - Susan Read, Isle of Ely Federation
- Third place - Cassandra Parkin, East Yorkshire Federation
- Highly Commended - Anne Grigg, Middlesex Federation, Kay Kennedy-Hardy, Cumbria Westmorland Federation and Sharon Champion, Clwyd Denbigh Federation
Click here to read the winning entries and their critiques as well as the official judges report.
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department