Vegetable & Cheese Casserole
A tasty warming dish, easy to prepare and cook.
- 50g butter
- 200g onions, sliced
- 450g carrots, sliced
- 3 level tbsp cornflour
- 600ml milk
- 200g cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 350g can kidney beans
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- Saute the onions and carrots in the butter for about 10 mins to bring out their flavour. Do not colour.
- In another pan, blend the cornflour with a little milk then gradually add the rest of the milk.
- Bring this to the boil, stirring continuously and simmer for 2 mins.
- Remove from the heat, add half the cheese, mustard, onion, carrots, beans, red pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Pour into an ovenproof casserole, cover and bake at 170 degrees, Gas Mark 4 for about 45 mins until the vegetables are cooked.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Serve with salad and hot garlic bread.