Squash & Rocket Risotto
Full of fibre, pearl barley makes a change from the more usual rice-based risotto. If you don't like blue cheese, use Parmesan instead, although currently, Parmesan is not suitable for vegetarians.
Preparation: 80 minutes
- 40g butter, unsalted
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 200g Pearl Barley
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 450g Butternut Squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 50g Vegetarian Blue Cheese
- 25g Rocket
- 3tbsp Pine Nuts Lightly toasted
- Crumbled Vegetarian Blue Cheese (optional)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large lidded saucepan, add the onion and fry gently for 5 mins, stirring occasionally until just beginning to colour.
- Stir in the barley, stock and season.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 40 mins.
- Stir in the squash, cover again and cook for a further 25 -30 mins until the squash is tender, stirring from time to time and more frequently towards the end of the cooking as the barley absorbs more stock.
- Stir in the cheese and spoon into large shallow bowls topping with rocket, pine nuts and cheese.
This recipe is from One Pot Dishes by published by Simon & Schuster in 2012.