Mediterranean Vegetable Strudel
- 1 Red Pepper deseeded & sliced
- 1 Orange Pepper, deseeded & sliced
- 1 Aubergine, cubed
- 2 small Red Onions, quartered
- 2 Courgettes, trimmed & thickly sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 100g Feta Cheese, cubed
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- For the Pastry
- 5 Large Sheets Filo Pastry
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Sprigs fresh Thyme to garnish
- Preheat the oven to Gas 7, 220C
- Place all the vegetables in a large roasting tin, drizzle with oil and stir well to coat. Sprinkle over the thyme and season with black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 20 -25mins until tender. Remove from the oven and cool 10 mins. When cool, stir in the balsamic vinegar and cheese.
- Reduce the oven to Gas 5, 190C and place a sheet of non-stick parchment on a baking tray.
- Lay one sheet of filo on the clean work surface and lightly brush with oil. Add a second sheet, brush with oil and repeat with the remaining sheets.
- Carefully spread the roasted veg on the filo sheets. Fold over each short end and then roll up the pastry lengthways like a swiss roll. Transfer to the baking tray. Lightly brush the top with oil and make light diagonal slashes across the top with a knife.
- Bake 20-25 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cut into thick slices.
This recipe is from Healthy Heart by Elspeth Smith published in 2005 by Simon & Schuster for Marks and Spencer.