Leeks a la Grecque
A simply made quick vegetarian dish giving lots of taste and fibre from the leeks. The lemon juice adds a zing as well as Vitamin C!
- 275ml water or water & white wine
- 150ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 sugar cubes or 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 50g long grain rice
- 1 lemon
- black olives to garnish
- Trim the leeks carefully, removing the tough outer leaves and wash thoroughly.
- Cut into 2.5cm slices and put into a pan with the water (or water & wine), oil, tomato and sugar.
- Cook for 5 mins, covered with a lid.
- Add the rice and cook for another 10 mins. The rice should have absorbed the liquid but must not be too soft.
- Turn off the heat and leave, still covered for another 4 mins.
- Cut the lemon in half and add the juice of half the lemon.
- Season and serve garnished with black olives and lemon slices.