Tasty and creamy, best served hot but an eternal favourite for any occasion!
- 18-20cm Short Pastry Tart Case, pre baked
- 225g Leek Stems, white, sliced (from about 3 Leeks)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 Large or 3 Small Eggs
- 150ml Single Cream
- Nutmeg, grated a pinch
- 25g Gruyere Cheese, grated
- Cook the sliced leeks in the minimum amount of water for 5 -7mins until soft.
- Drain, return to the dry pan and toss in the butter until well coated. Take off the heat.
- Beat the eggs, cream and seasonings together.
- Stir in the leeks with any butter and turn into the pastry case.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake 190C, Gas 5 for 20 -25mins until the custard is set.
- Serve hot
Very tasty with a green salad.
The green stems of the leeks may be frozen for later use or used in soup or a hearty casserole.
Please note if you are making this for a WI Show, "On With the Show" guidelines state as a savoury dish it should be made in a round flan ring/tin and not fluted