Coconut & Vegetable Curry
This is a straightforward vegetable curry. You can make it hotter by adding extra chilli or more curry paste. Serve with rice or naan bread.
Preparation: 1 hr
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 small aubergine, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green or red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry paste (medium or hot)
- 75 g (2. oz) creamed coconut, chopped
- juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put all the vegetables in a large saucepan with the garlic, chilli and ginger.
- Cover with about 300–350 ml (10–12 fl oz) of water.
- Bring to the boil and stir in the curry paste.
- Simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes, adding a little more water if needed.
- Add the creamed coconut, stirring gently to mix and then add the lemon juice and coriander.
- Check the seasoning and serve.
Other vegetables can be used for a change or according to what you have in the house eg. cauliflower, swede, parsnip and a few green beans.
This recipe is from One-Pot Dishes a recipe book published by Simon & Schuster.