Bean & Vegetable Hotpot
Easy to make - serve with rice, jacket potato or a sweet potato jacket. The flavour is even better if stored in the fridge for a day or two before eating.
- 1 small Aubergine, sliced and larger slices halved
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped finely
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1 Red Pepper, de-seeded and chopped into 5 -10 mm pieces
- 1 Yellow Pepper, de-seeded and chopped into 5 -10 mm pieces
- 1 Green Pepper, de-seeded and chopped into 5 -10 mm pieces
- 400g can Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed and drained again
- 2 x 400g cans Chopped Tomatoes with herbs
- 2 tbsp fresh Basil or Rosemary
- 2 Courgettes, sliced
- 225g frozen Sweetcorn Kernels
- Freshly ground Black pepper
- Brush the aubergine slices with lemon juice to prevent browning
- Put the garlic, onion, peppers, beans, tomatoes and herbs into a large pan
- Cover bring to the boil and simmer 30 mins until the vegetables begin to soften
- Add the courgettes and aubergine, bring back to the boil and simmer a further 45 - 60 mins
- Add the sweetcorn, bring back to the boil and simmer for 5 mins.
- Season to taste with black pepper
This recipe is from Low Fat Family Cooking by Margaret Foss published in 2005 by Simon & Schuster for Marks and Spencer.