- 2 large Aubergines
- 6 large Tomatoes or 1x396g can Tomatoes
- 2 Shallots
- 1 clove Garlic
- 50g Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Skin and slice aubergines. Put them on a plate, and sprinkle with a little salt to extract water; leave while you make the Portuguese sauce.
- Skin and slice the tomatoes if fresh.
- Peel and chop the shallots and garlic and saute in half the butter and oil.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dry the aubergine, dip in flour and fry crisply in the rest of the fat. Season.
- Arrange in a dish and pour the sauce over the aubergine.