Tomato Spiced Soup
Basil and tomatoes are a perfect flavour combination and the shallots give this soup a slight sweetness.
Preparation: 35 minutes + cooking time 30 minutes
Plus: Freezing: recommended
- 50g Butter or 2 tbsp Vegetable or Olive Oil
- 6 Shallots, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 600ml Chicken Stock
- 900g Beef Tomatoes, skinned and chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh Basil
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 4–5 slices French bread
- Olive Oil
- 4–5 tsp Pesto
- tiny fresh Basil leaves
- Heat the butter or oil in a large lidded saucepan.
- Add the shallots and garlic and sweat for 3 minutes, covered, shaking the pan from time to time, until softened but not browned.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
- Gradually add the stock and bring to the boil, stirring all the time until thickened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée and basil, season well, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the slices of bread in a little olive oil until golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel.
- Keep warm.
- Remove the soup from the heat and leave to cool briefly.
- Blend until smooth and then reheat gently.
- Spread the bread slices with the pesto.
- Serve garnished with the pesto breads, basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
This recipe is from Soups for all Seasons by Liz Herbert and published by Simon & Schuster 2008 priced £14.99 ISBN 978-1-84737-178-2
For a complete list of all WI books please send a sae to WIE, NFWI 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY