- 6lb fresh ripe Tomatoes
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 pint Vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed mixed Pickling Spice
- 6-7 tsp Sugar
- 2 medium Onions finely grated
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Wipe tomatoes and cut up roughly. Put with the grated onion in a large ovenproof bowl into the oven at 1750C, Gas Mark 3/4 for about 1 hour until mushy (flesh parting from the skin).
- Rub through a colander, or cool slightly and put through a liquidiser.
- Rub through a fine sieve.
- Put into a saucepan, together with the vinegar, salt, sugar and the spice tied in a muslin bag.
- Boil for 20 minutes.
- Add bay leaves and boil for 10 minutes more.
- Cool slightly and bottle. The sauce is best stored for 2-3 months before using.