Sourdough Summer Salad
Preparation: 20 - 30 minutes
- 6 medium eggs, from the fridge
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a drizzle to serve if you like
- 8 anchovies, either packed in oil or salted and rinsed
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 250g crusty sourdough, torn into bite-size chunks
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 70g (a good handful) dry pitted black olives
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 450g jar flame-roasted peppers, drained and then torn or sliced
- Good handful basil leaves, plus a few more to serve
- 2 handfuls rocket
Bring a pan of water to the boil, carefully lower in the eggs and boil for 6 ½ minutes. Whisk together the oil and vinegar then tumble 2 tablespoons of this with the bread in a large bowl. Set aside to soak for at least 10 minutes.
When the eggs are ready, cool under cold water then peel and cut in half. The yolks should be slightly jammy in the middle, season.
Add the garlic and plenty of seasoning to the remainder of the oil and vinegar to make a dressing. Mound the anchovies, olives, tomatoes, peppers, basil, and rocket on top of the bread.
When ready to serve, toss the salad with the bread, top with the eggs, then drizzle the dressing all over. Scatter with the remaining basil and a drizzle more olive oil if you like.
This recipe was written by Jane Hornby, cookery writer, cookbook author and food stylist. Her aim is to inspire you to cook more, with recipes that deliver on flavour and look great whatever your skill level.