Spicy Beef Stir Fry
Always prepare the ingredients before starting to cook to ensure that cooking flows as rapidly as possible. Serve with cooked noodles or rice.
Preparation: 20 minutes, cooking time 15 minutes
- 350g lean Rump Steak, finely sliced
- 1½ tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 4 Spring Onions, sliced and halved if thick
- 1 Garlic Clove, finely chopped
- 1 Red Chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 4cm fresh root Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Red Pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 Green Pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 125g Baby Corn, sliced on the diagonal
- 150ml Beef Stock
- 3 tablespoons Oyster Sauce
- freshly ground Black Pepper
- Toss the rump steak with the Chinese five spice and cornflour to coat the meat. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan and stir fry the spring onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chilli and ginger and fry for a further minute.
- Add the peppers and baby corn and stir fry until the vegetables are just tender – no more than 3–4 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the beef to the wok and stir fry to brown completely.
- Pour in the stock and oyster sauce and cook for about 2 minutes until the stock thickens slightly.
- Season with black pepper and serve.
This recipe is from One Pot Dishes by published by Simon & Schuster in 2012 ISBN 978-1-47110-177-9 priced £12.99
For the complete list of WI books please send a SAE to WIE 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY