Provencal Fish Casserole
Many traditional Provençal dishes feature generous amounts of garlic. This uses just a couple of cloves, but if you prefer a stronger flavour, add more.
Preparation: 40 minutes, cooking time 20–25 minutes
- 2–3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 large Onions, roughly chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 450g Tomatoes, skinned and roughly choppe
- 125ml Dry White Wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh Marjoram
- salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Purée
- 4 Cod Steaks (approx 675g total weight),skinned
- 50g Stoned Black Olives
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof roasting tin and gently fry the onions, garlic and parsley over a low heat for 5–8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and then stir in the wine and marjoram. Season and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree
- Place the cod steaks in the tin and cover with the sauce. Add the olives.
- Place the tin in the oven and cook for 20–25 minutes.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley.
Any firm-fleshed white fish such as monkfish or haddock can replace the cod in this dish.
This recipe is from One Pot Dishes a WI recipe book published by Simon & Schuster priced £12.99 ISBN 978-1-47110-177-9
For a complete list of WI Recipe books send a sae to WI Enterprises 104 New Kings Road, London SW 6 4LY