A traditional Middle Eastern dish "shish" kebab is a popular take away of spit roasted lamb. For this healthy version try and infuse the lamb with lemon juice, rosemary and garlic overnight to tenderise and flavour the meat.
- 450g Lamb, shoulder fillet
- 2 Rosemary sprigs bruised
- 1 Garlic Clove, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Black Pepper, freshly ground
- Red pepper chopped
- Spring Onions sliced
- Mushrooms, halved if too large
- Trim any excess fat from the lamb, cube and place in a bowl with the rosemary and garlic. Pour over the oil and lemon juice. Season with pepper and stir thoroughly to coat the meat.
- Add the other ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and leave to marinate overnight in the refrigerator if possible.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 8, 220C and place a roasting pan in the oven on the highest shelf.
- Thread the ingredients on skewers, not too tightly and place in the heated roasting pan.
- Cook 10 mins, turning over half way.
- Serve on a bed of salad with houmus or tzatziki or in pitta bread for food on the go!
Instead of metal skewers the woody rosemary sticks, stripped of the herb could be used for a rustic effect.
Other meat, suitable for roasting or grilling may be used for variety.
Include lots of veg for a healthy option