Ham & Tomato Pasta Bake
This is ideal for using up any ham left over at Christmas time. Serve with a selection of lightly cooked green vegetables or a crisp green salad.
Preparation: 20 minutes, cooking time 25–30 minutes
- 175g Fusilli
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 200g Cooked Ham, cubed
- 400g can chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried Basil
- 300ml semi-skimmed Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Tomato purée
- freshly ground black Pepper
- 75g mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook the fusilli according to the packet instructions until just al dente. Drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 5 mins to soften.
- Add the ham, tomatoes and basil and simmer for 8–10 mins.
- Stir the cooked pasta gently into the ham and tomato mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Turn the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs and tomato purée and season with black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the pasta and sprinkle the grated Cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake for 25–30 mins until the mixture is set and the top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is from Traditional Favourites published by Simon & Schuster in 2012 ISBN 978-1-47110-178-6 priced £12.99
For the complete list of WI books please send a SAe to WIE 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY