This is a quick to make, nourishing dish. Try to use fish from sustainable stocks, other fish (such as coley, gurnard or other farmed fish) could be substituted if you do not want to use cod.
- 450g Cod, or alternative
- Pepper and Salt
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 Apples
- 50g Mushrooms
- 350ml Dry Cider
- 75g Butter
- 25g Flour
- 450g Potatoes
- 50g Cheddar Cheese
- Cut the fish into small pieces, removing all the bones.
- Place in an ovenproof dish with a little salt if liked and freshly ground pepper.
- Skin and slice the tomatoes and apples and slice the mushrooms. Add these to the fish.
- Pour on the cider and dot the top with 50g butter.
- Cover and bake at 190C, Gas 5 for 35 mins
- Strain off the liqour and use to make a sauce with the rest of the butter and flour. Season and pour over the fish.
- Meanwhile, boil and mash the potato and pipe a scalloped edge around the fish or arrange it with a fork.
- Grate the cheese over the fish and brown under a grill.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley, fennel or dill and with fresh vegetables
This recipe was first published in "Main Courses" a WI Home Skills Guide, currently out of print