- 1 kg Beef stewing, cubed
- 250ml White Wine
- 15ml Parsley, chopped
- 10ml Thyme, chopped
- Bay leaf
- 15ml Oil
- 6 rashers Bacon rinded and cubed
- 2 Carrots, large
- 1 Onion, large, sliced
- 75g Mushrooms, sliced
- 200g Tomatoes chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- 250ml Brown Stock
- Make a marinade of the wine, herbs and oil
- Put the beef in the marinade and leave in a cool place for 3 hrs
- To a large casserole, put the bacon, onion, carrot and seasoning.
- Add the mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Put the marinaded beef on top, sprinkle with garlic and season.
- Cover with bacon. Blend the wine with herbs and stock and pour over.
- Cover and cook Gas Mark 2, 150C in the middle of the oven until tender, about 4 hrs
This recipe uses an economical cut of beef. Get to know your butcher and ask him for other ideas to make from lean economical cuts of meat.
This recipe can also be cooked in a slow cooker.