This is an easy to do recipe as well as useful standby for winter when the fruit is finished and the store is empty. Finished professionally it will make a great present at Christmas. Served with ice cream, it makes a great topping for pancakes too.
Preparation: 45 minutes + overnight soaking
- 225g Dried Apricots, chopped
- 450g Raisins
- 450g Dates, chopped
- 450g Bananas (peeled weight), chopped
- 1.8kg Light Brown Soft Sugar
- Cover the apricots and raisins with water and leave to soak overnight.
- Drain away the water and place all the fruit in a large preserving pan. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until setting point is reached.
- Remove any scum.
- Pour into cooled, sterilised jars and then seal and label.
This recipe is from Homemade Jams & chutneys by Midge Thomas and published by Simon & Schuster.